About the Joan Baker Scholarship in Theater Arts
In 2015, Agape Theatre announced the creation of the Joan Baker Scholarship in Theater Arts. The Joan Baker Scholarship, named after local actress and educator Joan Baker, furthers Agape’s mission to provide young performers and artists an environment in which to hone their craft.
The $500 scholarship is awarded to an incoming college freshman hailing from either Travis or Williamson County who displays a genuine interest and dedication to theater.
Wednesday, October 19th 2017 – Application window opens for Agape Theatre’s Joan Baker Scholarship in Theater Arts
Monday, April 10th 2017 – Application window closes at 11:59pm Central Time
Monday, May 1st 2017 – Agape Theatre awards Joan Baker Scholarship in Theater Arts
To be eligible for the Joan Baker Scholarship in Performing Arts, a student must:
- Be a High School Senior graduating in the Spring or Summer of 2016
- Reside and attend school in Williamson or Travis County
- Have a 3.0 minimum GPA
- Be currently applying to a 2- or 4- year college, university, or conservatory with the intent to study one of the following disciplines:
- Theater Studies, Theater History, or Dramaturgy
- Musical Theater
- Theater Direction or Directing for Stage
- Theater Design (including Costume Design, Set Design, Lighting Design and/or Sound Design)
- Stage Management
To apply for the Joan Baker Scholarship in Performing Arts, a student must:
- Fill out the online application here: https://form.jotform.com/agapeactors/2017-scholarship-application
- Upload a current transcript from their High School along with the application.
- Upload a resume encapsulating their experience in Performing Arts thus far along with the application.
- Upload 2 Letters of Recommendation from teachers or instructor who can speak to their performing arts characteristics and talent. If their teacher or instructor would rather submit their letter to Agape directly, they may do so here: https://form.jotform.com/agapeactors/2017-supporting-docs-upload
- Answer one General Essay Question and one Specific Essay Question . Each essay response should be a minimum of 2 pages. There is no page maximum. Essay responses should be double-spaced and in a 12-point font. Essays will be reviewed and graded based on the applicant’s ability to:
- Follow instructions regarding formatting and content;
- Sufficiently answer the question by providing a clearly stated opinion or argument;
- Support their opinion or argument with relevant and compelling examples, facts, figures, quotes, or other supporting information;
- Speak with a passion towards theater and theatrical arts;
- Speak as a confident, well-informed, and insightful authority on the essay topic they’ve chosen;
- Provide a response free of spelling and grammatical errors.
- (Optional Requirement) Provide digital media (e.g. performance video or audio, design sketches, play manuscripts, etc). This material will only be viewed by the selection committee should there be a tie amongst choosing a final scholarship recipient.
All applications and additional documents will be forwarded to the Secretary of the Board of Directors for Agape Theatre, Inc.. The student’s application will be given a number and their name, school, and instructor’s name will be removed from all documents to ensure an anonymous and unbiased selection process. Their application information will then be forwarded to a selection committee for further review.
The student’s complete application must be received by Agape Theatre by 11:59pm Central Time on Monday, April 10th, 2017. Agape Theatre will award the scholarship on or before Monday, May 1st, 2017.